Sunday, February 13, 2011

Yo Quiero Taco Bell

I have a love affair with Taco Bell. Everything about Taco Bell is amazing. So you can imagine my surprise when I read that my favorite fast food joint is being sued for not using real meat in their tacos. By now, I am sure you all heard the rumors. Taco Bell is being sued for "false advertising" for saying their ground beef is indeed meat. The issue is that Taco Bell ground beef does not hold up to the USDA standard of what is considered meat (i.e. flesh of a cattle). Instead, it should be called "meat filling."

But the lawsuit, or the fact that claims are being made against their meat legitimacy, isn't what surprised me the most. In fact, it was other things surrounding the case that really shocked me. 

1. USDA standard for something to be legally called meat is 40%. FORTY PERCENT! I mean that's not even half. If our government is allowing us to eat meat that is only really 40% meat, can we seriously get mad at Taco Bell? It's fast food. Of course it's lower quality. And the claims are that it's only 35%. What's a little 5% amongst friends?

2. The head of Taco Bell is an Australian. Or a New Zelander. Whatever. Either way he has a sweet accent and seems like the happiest guy in the world. I totally want to work for Taco Bell now.

3. I don't think enough people acknowledge how well Taco Bell did with this law suit. They came back strong. I mean the CEO/smiling/accent dude really connected with his buyers in his video speaking out against the claims. They combated the claims (and I am totally on TB's side) and they let their loyal customers know what's up.

4. Probably the thing that surprised me the most is the fact that this lawsuit did nothing to change my love of Taco Bell. The article came out that their meat wasn't real meat, and I didn't skip a beat. In fact it made me crave a Cheesy Gordita Crunch. I mean you would think the fact that every Taco Bell I ever visited was less than a half mile from an animal hospital would deter me, but nope I just keep on ordering.

Man do I love Taco Bell. Bring on Fourth Meal.

RIP little guy.